After days of careful monitoring, deliberation and speaking with BC Parks, BC Wildfire Staff and Manning Park Staff we have decided that our 2022 race will be deferred to 2023. Our 2022 race is canceled.
Register before July 12, 2022 to guarantee an event T-Shirt and size
The race is held in Manning Provincial Park, which is a 3 hour drive east from Vancouver, BC.
Race Day Details
|When||September 16, 2023|
|Where||Manning Park, BC. Lightning Lake Day use area|
|Distance||50 km, 27 km and 13 km|
|Start Times||50 km – 7:30 AM|
27 km – 9:00 AM
13 km – 9:30 AM
|50 km Cut-off Time||27km Aid Station 3 – 2:00 PM (6.5 hrs)|
|Age Requirements||50 km – Age on race day 19 years or older|
27 km/13 km – Age on race day 13 years or older
Please note there is a mandatory gear check on race morning for both the 27km & 50km racers. Gear list will be emailed to those who register.
How to Get There
From Vancouver, take Highway 1 to Hope, then Highway 3 to Manning Park. Follow the signs to Lightning Lake “DAY” parking. It takes about 2.5-3 hours to get there. Allow plenty of time on race day or spend the night before at the campground or lodge.
Due to the remote location of the race, aid will be limited. We have two main aid stations with food and water and three water only stations. Please be prepared, plan to carry lots of water and nutrition. First Aid personnel will be onsite. Drop bags for the 50k can be accessed at Aid Station Three.
Lightning – 13 km
|Aid Station 1||3 km|
Endurance – 27 km
|Water Station 1||8 km|
|Water Station 2||20 km|
Ultra 50 km
|Water Station 1||8 km|
|Water Station 2||20 km|
|Aid Station 3||27 km|
|Water Station 4||34 km|
|Aid Station 5||44 km|
Race Package Pickup
Friday September 16th
Cabin #31 @ Manning Park Lodge from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Race Day Package Pickup
Race Day pickup @ start/finish line opens at 6:30am
Top Male and Female competitor in the 50 km ultra will receive a CAD$100 GC
Top Male and Female competitor in the 27 km race will receive CAD$50 GC.
Top Male and Female competitor in the 13 km race will receive CAD$25 GC.
All finishers will receive a Finisher Medal.
Once the top three in each distance has crossed the finish line we will have a brief podium ceremony presenting the gift cards and 1, 2, 3 medals. There is no set time for each ceremony, however they will be shortly after top three are in!
Please note the registration fees and dates below:
(Until March 31)
(Starting April 1)
|13 km Lightning||$65||$85|
|27 km Endurance||$85||$105|
|50 km Ultra||$110||$130|
Race Day Registration is available by CASH only:
50k – $155.00 – 27k $125.00 – 13k $110.00
The race will start in Lightning Lake Day Parking Lot, Manning Park, BC. The route will travel on a trail beside the road to turnoff to 20 Minute Lake Trail but go left along Little Muddy Trail (which is through a field). Follow posted signage to Windy Joe and Similkameen Trail. After that, follow signage for Frosty Mtn. Ascend to the forested areas, open meadows, single track, and rocky sections to wooden signs just before the summit of Frosty Mountain which is the highest peak in Manning Park at 7900 feet (2408 meters). After reaching the wooden signs, the race will descend (on the right side) through a short rocky section then into meadows on easy switchbacks and reach the south side of Lightning Lake. The 27 km race will turn off to finish back at Lightning Lake parking lot just past Aid station 3, while the 50 km race will continue around Lightning and Strike Lake followed by a relatively easy climb up Sky Line Trail 1 returning via Strawberry Flats to Lightning Lake parking lot.
Click here to download the 50 km route .gpx file.
Click here to download the 27 km route .gpx file.
Click here to download the 13 km route .gpx file.
50 km Ultra Elevation Profile
Where to Stay
Manning Park Resort is ideal for lodging, however space is very limited during the summer months, so you must book as soon as possible.
Camping is available: Lightning Lakes campground is in the Reservation system from June 3 to October 11. Other campgrounds are approximately 50% reservable and 50% first come, first served. All reservations must go through the BC Parks Reservation Service.
Note: The Discover Camping website is migrating to BC Parks and should be available starting March 14, 2022
Mandatory Gear Check List for 27km and 50km:
– Collapsible cup to be used at all aid stations for beverages and food. We are trying to
limit our environmental impact by being a cup-less event.
– Minimum of 2 liters of fluid capacity is carried with you.
– Headlamp in working condition. Bring spare batteries for your lights.
– One emergencysurvival blanket
– Whistle attached to outside of pack or clothing.
– Extra food in reserve. Minimum 400 calories extra (not to be consumed unless
– Waterproof jacket with taped seams and hood.
– Long running pants or leggings or a combination of leggings and long socks which cover
the legs completely (optional waterproof pants).
– Insulating layer long-sleeve shirt
– Hat and gloves.
– GPX navigation device with the race route loaded. This must be charged and operable
for the entire event. To keep charged, many runners use battery packs in their drop
bags. This could be a cell phone or other device.
– Water bottle equipped with filtration, or water treatment tablets if you plan to use
streams for water.
– Soft flask in case your water bladder breaks/leaks.
zip-top bag if you wish to take food with you from an aid station
– Personal medications – we cannot administer any medications, even Advil!
– Sunscreen and lip balm.
– Fire starter.
– Bug spray.
– Extra pair of socks in your pack.
– 1 compression bandage for sprains or other injuries.
– Compact first-aid and foot care kit.
– Toilet paper/wipes and a zip top bag to carry it out with.
– Moleskin, band aids, duct tape.
– Vaseline or other anti-chaff product.
– Bear spray or air horn if you are concerned about bears.
– Finish line warm clothes packed in a waterproof drop bag
Poles are allowed in all of the race distances.